Thursday, September 26, 2013

Great Barrington

Back where I finished on Oct 4th last year, in Great Barrington MA. It's a pretty sweet little town--nice food Co-Op, some interesting restaurants and shops.
 Asia Barong--amazing selection of Buddhist and Hindu imported goods including GIANT statuary.
It's no Salsas, but some pretty hip Cont-Mex digs. But for all the amenities GB is pretty upscale and not all that hiker-friendly. Expensive, a distance from the Trail, and well, just not that helpful. Nonetheless, a nice place to land on that gentrified US7 corridor.

When I wrapped up my hike last year, I had been in the rain for a week and slipped twice--once coming down Bear Mt (CN border) bruising my tailbone, and again on top of Mt Everett breaking my camera. So, enough was enough. I just heard that a young hiker fell to his death on Race Mt. (between those two) just a few weeks ago. Wet rocks, AT perilously close to the edge of massive cliffs. I was scared and now I see it wasn't just over reaction. And for all that climbing I had not one view because of white out from the clouds. I was tired of wetness and falling and getting ground up, so that was the end of the 2012 hike. Even though I did 500mi in a little over a month, I was beat up. So things are looking better this go around. Some clear weather ahead and a fresh start.

No comments: