Monday, August 27, 2012

More Shenandoah

Looking back through my photos from last Fall, I realized how many great shots I have--I wish I could share them all. Maybe in a slide show in the future. Even though it's somewhat random and chronologically out of sequence, I wanted to post a few more highlights from 2011.

Hiking through Shenandoah NP in October was one big highlight in itself. For the most part I had spectacular weather (except for a freezing squall that nailed me around Skyland) and the leaves were at their peak. The photo above is looking at Stony Man from the south on the AT. Having spent quite a bit of my youth in SNP, Stony Man has always held and almost mythical place in my imagination.
As the highest point in SNP it has great views, especially from the cliffs on the west side. Spent many a rooted evening watching the sunset from this spot.

Not far north from Stony Man, a side trail goes down into Jewell Hollow where a friend's uncle had a cabin. Another view full of memories for me.

And of course the deer and bear and everybody else have become pretty used to visitors.

It's hard to tell scale in this photo, but this giant old friend was about 15' up to those first branches. A regal old white oak. There's a good reason why so many people love Shenandoah. Even with all the touristy stuff, it's a really special place for hikers too.



No comments: