Friday, October 14, 2011

Rain Rain Rain


The first couple days heading out of Daleville this week were pretty good but I knew there was rain ahead. By Wednesday, steady mist had turned to heavy rains--2-3 inches--and made hiking especially difficult. The 17 mi I did Wed between Cove Mt. Shelter and Thunder Hill Shelter included 3000' of uphill and was very tough. Rains continued into Thursday soaking everything including me and my gear.
Ironically, we went from very dry conditions the week before--lots of dried up creek beds--to swollen, raging streams. Yesterday I had my first (unplanned) fording of a stream at Matt's Creek on the AT. If you look closely at the white blazes you can see that crossing this stream at the usual AT crossing would have been tricky at best. So I had to slosh through at another spot.

No comments: