Monday, September 24, 2012

Into New York

Yesterday (Su 9/23) I crossed the border into New York state on a cool, crisp Fall day. I was glad for cooler weather--the last couple days in NJ were very humid and buggy making hiking a chore. After many miles of relatively smooth trail passing through Wawayanda SP (another beautiful preserve in NJ) I popped up on the rocky ridgeline just below Prospect Rock (highest point on the AT in NY).


Fortunately, I lucked out that with such a clear day I had visibility to see the skyline of Manhattan off in the distance. It's truly an awesome sight, to go from such seemingly remote and wild surroundings to viewing the biggest city in the USA. It reminded of how far I've walked the past few weeks (340 miles) and just how amazing the Appalchian Trail is.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Keep the spirit of the Journey LJ and Hike on! OXO