Monday, September 10, 2012

A Personal Journey

Aside from travelogue items and hiker lore, my journey up the AT has had a very personal side to it as well. I realized today that over the past year I have walked from my mother's place of birth to my own place of birth, or close anyway. Plus I have walked through my father and siblings' places of birth as well.
Starting at Bland VA (20 mi from Bluefield WV, mom's POB) I've hiked past Lynchburg VA (dad's POB) past Washington DC (my brother and sister's POB) and now in Duncannon PA, I'm about 15 miles from Harrisburg, my city of birth.
No wonder I feel such a draw to the AT. For most of my early life it was never far away. It's been interesting to reflect on how Appalachia has defined my family including my grandparents and other extended family.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Nice photos and very nice reflections

Unknown said...

you say this so eloquently. you reflect what i so deeply feel about the mountains, Appalachia, and our roots back to it.