Tuesday, October 15, 2013

More Long Trail Views

Fortunately, I had some great weather during most of my time on the Long Trail: Clear, sunny days and cool nights. It was little warm for my hiking style but I still was able to make 18-20mi per day and still have time to stop and appreciate some of the views. On the AT, many of the "views" are not necessarily a sweeping panorama from a high peak but the more subtle things one sees while quietly traversing the forest. Like this foot bridge...
I noticed each day as I headed north that more Fall color was showing, especially at higher elevations. It's amazing how much of a difference one sees in just 100mi from Mass into Vermont during transitional seasons.
Considering how nice the weather is in early Fall, I saw relatively few other hikers on the AT. Most of the long-distance hikers I saw were either going south on the Long Trail (270mi from the Canadian border to MA) or going south completing a flip-flop hike of the AT. There were a few other section hikers doing small pieces to the north but we were really near the end of the season for that.
Another interesting feature of Vermont (and really much of the trail from NJ north) is the number of high elevation ponds and bogs. Because so much of the mountains are solid granite and non-porous, wherever there is a dip or a bowl in the rock, soil and/or water collects and forms it's own ecosystem.
Some are tiny little pools, but often large ponds a half mile across might be seen above 2000'.
And streams! Even without rain for weeks, no shortage of water in Vermont.
Nothing like waking up to a view like this.




1 comment:

Patty said...

That last shot is absolutely breathtaking. Thanks for sharing the end of your 2013 AT journey with
me :) Until we meet again...xoxo